ORDINANCE NUMBER 21-11092
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
Lot Fourteen (14), Block Three (3) of the Southern Heights Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County Kansas. (the “Property”)
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The Property is more suitable for commercial use due to its proximity to the existing nail salon. The current R-1 zoning inhibits the ability of the nail salon to provide adequate off-street parking.
- The rezoning request area is adjacent to existing C-3 zoned property on the north and west so the requested C-3 zoning would be compatible with the zoning and uses of nearby property. Approval of C-3 zoning would be a logical extension of the existing C-3 zoning along this portion of the West Crawford Street.
- Approving the rezoning request would enable the applicant to construct additional off-street parking which would benefit the neighborhood by reducing on-street parking and congestion along this portion of Merrill Street.
- Needed public utilities and streets are already in place to serve the needs of the rezoning request area.
- Convenience services such as beauty and nail salons are identified uses in the Urban Residential land use area.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT C-3. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT “C-3” SHOPPING CENTER.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Summary of ordinance for publication. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 21-11092 Summary
On December 13, 2021, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 21-11092. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of a residential lot at 709 Merrill Street from R-1 (Single-Family Residential) to C-3 (Shopping Center) to allow the construction of additional customer parking for an adjacent nail salon which is not allowed under the current R-1 zoning classification. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: December 6, 2021
Passed: December 13, 2021
Melissa Rose Hodges, Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk