ORDINANCE NUMBER 22-11096
AN ORDINANCE ADOPTING NEW SECTION 42-229.1 PERTAINING TO SHORT TERM RECREATIONAL VEHICLE PARKING, AMENDING CODE SECTIONS 42-318 AND 42-339 PERTAINING TO CONDITIONAL USES IN THE C-5 COMMERCIAL DISTRICT AND C-7 HIGHWAY COMMERCIAL DISTRICT AND REPEALING THE EXISTING SECTIONS 42-318 AND 42-339.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. New Section. The Salina Code is amended by adding a section to be numbered 42-229.1, which section reads as follows:
Sec. 42-229.1. – Short term recreational vehicle parking areas.
Short term recreational vehicle parking areas that are accessory to an existing hotel, motel, truck stop or travel plaza located in a C-5 or C-7 district shall be allowed only upon approval of a conditional use permit in accordance with the provision of Section 42-597.2 of the Zoning Regulations.
Accessory short term recreational vehicle parking areas shall not be considered to be recreational campgrounds and shall not be subject to the requirements of Section 42-229 of the Zoning Regulations, except as may be required by the conditions imposed pursuant to a conditional use permit. In considering a conditional use permit application the Planning Commission may impose requirements related to the total number of parking spaces allowed, limits on continuous nights of rental or use of parking spaces, and such other conditions as deemed necessary and appropriate to make the accessory recreational vehicle parking area compatible with surrounding property and to protect health, safety, and welfare of the public.
Section 2. Amendment. Section 42-318 of the Salina Code is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 42-318. - Conditional uses.
Conditional uses in the C-5 district are as follows:
(1) Amusement parks and skating rinks;
(2) Animal hospitals, provided that all pens shall be in an enclosed structure;
(3) Automobile repair;
(4) Electronic cigarette establishments;
(5) Group care facilities;
(6) Group rehabilitation facilities;
(7) Hospitals, sanitariums, rest homes and nursing homes;
(8) Lumber yards;
(10) Multifamily dwellings, provided that:
a. New buildings and additions to existing buildings shall comply with the requirements of the R-3 district and parking shall be provided in conformance with section 42-553;
b. Conversions of existing nonresidential buildings shall comply with the lot size requirements of the R-3 district (section 42-204) in addition to the bulk regulations in the C-5 district and parking may be provided at one-half ratio set forth in section 42-553.
(11) Multifamily dwellings for elderly and/or handicapped persons provided that:
a. New buildings and additions to existing buildings shall comply with the requirements of the R-3 district, with the exceptions to the bulk and lot size regulations permitted in section 42-203 and parking shall be provided in conformance with section 42-553;
b. Conversions of existing nonresidential buildings shall comply with the requirements of the R-3 district, with the exception to lot size regulations permitted in section 42-203 in addition to the bulk regulations in the C-5 district and parking shall be provided in conformance with section 42-553.
(12) Outdoor theatres;
(13) Shooting ranges (indoor);
(14) Short term recreational vehicle parking areas accessory to hotels, motels, truck stops and travel plazas;
(15) Tattoo parlors and body piercing studios;
(17) Telephone exchanges and telephone transmission equipment structures;
(18) Tobacco shops.
Section 3. Amendment. Section 42-339 of the Salina Code is amended to read as follows:
Sec. 42-339. - Conditional uses.
Conditional uses in the C-7 district are as follows:
(1) Agricultural implement sales and service;
(2) Automobile and truck sales, rental and repair service;
(3) Automotive parts stores;
(4) Beverage distributors;
(5) Boat sales, rental and service;
(6) Building supply stores and lumber yards;
(7) Business and professional offices;
(8) Commercial recreation facilities;
(9) Department and discount stores;
(10) Equipment sales and rental;
(11) Food stores and delicatessens;
(12) Fraternal and service clubs;
(13) Furniture stores;
(14) Governmental buildings;
(15) Manufactured home and mobile home sales;
(16) Private clubs;
(17) Public utility uses, including substations;
(18) Recreational vehicle campgrounds;
(19) Recreational vehicles sales, rental and service;
(20) Shooting ranges (indoor);
(21) Short term recreational vehicle parking areas accessory to hotels, motels, truck stops and travel plazas;
(22) Warehouses and wholesale houses.
Section 4. Repealer. Existing Salina Code Sections 42-318 and 42-339 are repealed.
Section 5. Effective. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once in the official city newspaper by the following summary:
Ordinance No. 22-11096 Summary
On February 14, 2022, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 22-11096. The Ordinance adds Section 42-229.1 to allow short term recreational parking areas that are accessory to an existing hotel, motel, truck stop or travel plaza to be approved through a conditional use permit in the C-5 (Service Commercial) and C-7 (Heavy Commercial) districts. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: February 7, 2022
Passed: February 14, 2022
Trent W. Davis, M.D., Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk