ORDINANCE NUMBER 22-11117
AN ORDINANCE AMENDING ORDINANCE NUMBER 8526, CODIFIED AS CHAPTER 42 OF THE SALINA CODE, AND THE ZONING DISTRICT MAP OF THE CITY OF SALINA, KANSAS BY REZONING AND PRESCRIBING THE PROPER USES OF CERTAIN PROPERTY WITHIN THE CITY.
BE IT ORDAINED by the Governing Body of the City of Salina, Kansas:
Section 1. Findings. In relation to the following described real estate:
The North 170 feet of Lot 1, less the West 111.20 feet thereof, Block 1 of the Key Acres Addition to the City of Salina, Saline County, Kansas. (the “Property”)
the Governing Body makes the following findings:
- All conditions precedent for the amendment of the City’s Zoning District Map and the rezoning of the Property have been timely met;
- The Property is more suitable for commercial use than residential use due to its arterial street frontage and its proximity to the adjacent veterinary clinic and the convenience store across the street. The current R zoning inhibits the ability of the current owner to market and redevelop the property;
- The rezoning request area is adjacent to existing C-3 zoned property on the west and C-5 and PDD C-3 on the north so the requested C-3 zoning would be compatible with the zoning and uses of the nearby property. Approval of C-3 zoning would be a logical extension of the existing C-3 zoning along this portion of West Magnolia Road;
- Needed public utilities and streets are already in place to serve the needs of the rezoning request area;
- The Property is located in a transition area between Commercial and Suburban Residential land use areas and Highland Avenue is a more suitable commercial/residential land use boundary than the current boundary on Magnolia Road.
Section 2. Amendment. DISTRICT “C-3”. The Zoning District Map of the City of Salina, Kansas is amended to rezone the Property as part of DISTRICT “C-3” SHOPPING CENTER.
Section 3. Repealer. All prior ordinances relating to the Property are repealed to the extent they are in conflict with this ordinance.
Section 4. Effective date; publication summary. This ordinance shall be in full force and effect from and after its adoption and publication once by summary in the official city newspaper.
Ordinance No. 22-11117 Summary
On June 13, 2022, the City Commission passed Ordinance No. 22-11117. The ordinance changes the zoning district classification of a vacant lot at the southwest corner of Highland Avenue and Magnolia Road from R (Single Family Residential) to C-3 (Shopping Center) to allow future commercial development of the site. A complete copy of the Ordinance can be found at www.salina-ks.gov or in the office of the City Clerk, 300 W. Ash, free of charge. This summary is certified by the City’s legal counsel.
Introduced: June 6, 2022
Passed: June 13, 2022
Trent W. Davis, M.D., Mayor
JoVonna A. Rutherford, City Clerk